Thursday 5 December 2013

ONE: La Tribu Global


ONE: La Tribu Global, a personal project looking at and celebrating the rich and complicated diversity of our global human tribe... a project that stared out back in February when I first started my postcard-portrait project La Solidaridad de los Viajeros' (The Solidarity of Travelers) with my 'Familia de La Serena' in northern Chile.  Later on in Brazil the name adapted to 'La Solidaridad de los Compañeros' (Solidarity of the Companions) and now here in Bolivia, with the influence of traditional weavings and tribal body paint, like the examples from the Omo Tribe in the photos from Hans Silvester above the project has developed into 'La Tribu Global'.  


After my month in September of researching Bolivia weavings I wanted to experiment with painting folk's portraits on their body in shapes and colours reflecting their story of where they are from, where they have lived and their dreams for the future.  My first 'subject' was artist and great friend Camilla Brendon, who happily let me experiment with painting her while taking a stop-motion animation, which Millie's now using to promote her project 31south|64north - great stuff! :-)   

Then this weekend just gone, with so many despedidas for beloved SB friends, I had the chance in saying goodbye to paint Alix and Lola - thank you lovelies for participating in the project!

Asking questions about the countries and cultures that have influenced the subject, what 'home' means to them, and what they dream about for their future, I've been trying to paint some of that information onto their faces and bodies through the colours and shapes they associate with the various countries, places and thoughts.   It is still very early days in the experiment but I am hoping to invite many more of my friends here in Cochabamba to participate in the project, and I'm excited to see how it develops!

Along with so many goodbyes 
to members of the SB crew this weekend,
 including Lola, Alix, Florrie and Sabrina, 
there was one hello from me 
to this wee fellow who remained behind,
....Prince Ernesto 
...I'm temporarily taking care of
him until we find him a new home!
he sends all you missed folk a paw-pat on the nose, 
good luck with all your adventures!
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment