Thursday 5 September 2013

Post Transit: Cochabamba with Camilla

London - Miami - La Paz - Cochabamba: Moley, Mini Mole and Munkey are off adventuring again. I happily bumped into two ICYE volunteers at Heathrow - Sarah and Emma that I recognised from the recent training in July and was chuffed to learn they'll be in Cochabamba the whole time I am! 

29 hours in transit and I am safely landed in Bolivia.... let this new branch of the Hecho Juntos journey begin :-)

Strong sun and shadows dapple the Sustainable Bolivia house which is like a sunnier and looser version of Unit D Omega Works, so I'm feeling right at home - this colourful moth has me smiling about one of the highlights of these last 6 weeks in the UK - Fish and Piers' moth-theme wedding last Saturday where the dance floor was the most jumping I've experienced at any wedding!

Camilla's here in her 3rd month of the art residency I'll be on from next month, so as well as getting a mate's pick up from the airport (thanks Mili) I've been able to see the space I'll be working in and best of all have met some of the other volunteers and staff.  My mind's racing as I wonder how my work will develop over the 3 months, who I might collaborate with and where in the community there might be the potential for sharing skills through workshops.  



In wandering the streets I'm struck by how different Cochabamba feels after London.  Scorching hot as the country moves into summer, a rich mix of dress including the beautiful woven traditional dress that so draws my eye.  Streets lined with vendors of all sorts of colourful goods and foods, and as I noticed whilst sat drawing in the shade of a tree in Plaza Colon the air's full of a cacophony of beeps, alarms, vendors's bells, engine revving, pigeon's flapping, friends chatter and kids laughter. I wonder how this might start filtering through my work? :-) 

El Cristo de Cochabamba - 33 and a bit metres tall for the age of Christ (the 'a bit' makes it taller than the Christ in Rio!). Depicted here in a detail from a beautiful painting in the SB house, and in the far distance atop the hill whose steep climb  had me panting and heart racing today... a definite fitness opportunity for the months ahead!



Amelie's Mini Mole is joining Lily's Moley for these adventures, so keep an eye out for updates of their Bolivian experience!

Big love from Bolivia!
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment