Wednesday 3 July 2013

Joy at Iguaçu Falls


Wow... the rushing water and shimmering rainbows are awe-inspiring at the Iguaçu waterfalls that are so enormous they span three countries: Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay... their name actually comes from the Guarani or Tupi words for 'big' ûasú and 'waters' y ..... an amazing place that had me singing away elatedly to myself! :-)


Moley and arrive at Hostel Paudimar in Foz de Iguaçu. (left) / Plastic rubbish monster (right) created by kids on the Brazilian side of the Iguaçu Falls, from rubbish colleted from the Iguaçu National Park.  Through the workshops and this display the hope is to bring awareness to the public about the impact of rubbish on the environment. 

BRAZILIAN SIDE:



Moley and I got absolutely soaked to the skin at Devil's Mouth, where a walkway takes you right out over the rushing waters and the air is so full of spray its like being in a constant light shower... my waterproof, I discovered is NOT water-proof!!


ARGENTINIAN SIDE:

Here, at the end of this period in South America I had a surprise extra-border crossing when I joined a group of other travellers from the hostel and took a day trip across to the Argentinian side of the falls.  


As a national park, I hear tell they have plenty of these...

Though I saw none.  Who I did see were plenty of these cheeky fellas who will apparently stop at nothing to nick your food - the trails ad many of these signs warning about the coatíes bites, and at one point, in stopping to pick up someone else's dropped rubbish the crackle of the foil packaging had a mini triplet of coatíes rushing over to me - pretty intimidating.   What really interested me was how unusual it felt in the cafe areas to see these creatures wandering around freely, it felt slightly like an image from an apocalypse film, and was an eerie reminder of how cut off we are from nature, to find it so unusual to see free-roaming wild animals.  I was also reminded of the urban foxes in London and how good it feels to see them wandering free in our concrete jungle:




Named a UNESCO World Heritage site, the Iguaçu Falls are so impressive that it is hard to desribe them.  When I was there I noticed myself start singing "give me joy in my heart, keep me singing", lyrics from a Christian worship song that I have't heart or sung for years, but that suddenly came into my lungs - a sign of the joy of the place.  I felt very grateful there to be alive.

To give a wee impression, here are some observations from my wanders there:
Iguaçu
Water water water
rushing flooding tumbling falling pushing pummeling plunging splashing breaking waving thrashing
cataradas cascadas waterfalls
browns yellows whites
rainbows suspended translucent shimmering
grasses green soaked bent flattened pummelled flat
blue sky above birds circling on invisible currents
breeze on the skin
sun warming back
someplaces air heavy with water spray

metal grill underfoot wooden railings
thick deep green leaves
butterflies

tourists tourists tourists
cameras video cameras phone cameras 
special maté over-the-shoulder cases
smiles photos chattering almost quiet behind sound of falls
constant sound that 'roar' doesn't describe
a sort of flattened shh.hhhggg..rrgh..hrrr  
Feeling elated, joyous, content
Smiling thinking of family and friends
looking forward to coming home
Feeling grateful for life
Happy days!
Thank you World
:-)

A world where all worlds fit
A mural spotted as I arrived into the Brazilian town Foz de Iguaçu.  Follow the link to the groups blog ot read about their ideas, uniting artists and poets from the three sides of the borders, Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina.


No comments:

Post a Comment