Thursday 21 March 2013

ONE: Manuel Antonio Zambra Salinas


A gorgeous young lad, Manuel was the first resident of 831 that I me and made me feel right at home.  Technically Manuel doesn’t live there in the sense he doesn’t rent a room, but he is the 16-year-old brother of Jose and stays over for most of the week to be nearby to his college (secondary school), which is round the corner.  At weekends he heads back to the family home which is about half an hour away in Coquimbo, by the famous Cruz de III Millennium (Perhaps better to say infamous as apparently some folk believe the funds used to build this mainly tourist attraction would have been better used directly in the community) We went to Manuel’s family home one Sunday evening as a group and had the please of meeting his mum and little sister and tasting their delicious homemade bread hot out of the oven... fantastic!  Thanks for the bag you gave us to take back to the house too Carmen– much appreciated! :-)

 

The impression I got is that Manuel works hard and plays hard – actually on the football side of things the poor lad had a bad accident the Friday night of our poi in the park – Mauro had a call from Jose and left the park to head to the hospital where he found Manuel with a broken elbow.  Luckily he was out and home with his typically big smile the next day, and he never complained about the injury.  He even managed to drive me to the supermarket one evening with the arm in plaster (a mildly nerve-wracking experience for that and his age, though to be fair he was a better parker than me and I’ve passed my test!)
Manuel Antonio Zambra Salinas
A challenge overcome: to move forward from all the accidents that have happened to me.
A dream for my future: The achievement of moving forwards in my studies.  To be a marine biologist and to live in Australia.
A hope for the global village: It will be sociable, to know people and to know the entire world.

It was actually Manuel’s interesting questioning about personal dreams not yet completed that was one of the significant in solidifying the postcard idea, so thank you very much Manuel!  Good luck in getting to Australia and in your studies.  I’ll be interested to know which of the two options you talked of you go for – marine biologist or engineer?  Keep in touch and let me know!
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment