Saturday 11 May 2013

ONE: Dani Roper



Dani Roper
A challenge I overcame: to change my whole life around by myself!
A dream for my future: to change someone else's life!
A hope for the global community: to change the world!
  
Dani is a gorgeous Brazilian girl who kindly shared her home with me for my one night stop-off in Belo Horizonte before the final 12-hour overnight bus to arrive in Medina, where the Medinadança project is.  Friday lunch Dani and her wee boy, 3 year-old Milo, took me for one of the pay-per-kilo buffets I’ve come to enjoy since arriving in Brazil for their good range of veggie options, and then Dani introduced me to the new and delicious experience of an ice-cream buffet. Mmmm...!

Dani is married to Matt Roper, who is the founder of the Meninadança project, and the author of the two books that so touched me when I read them last year and led me to get in touch with the project to see if they needed volunteers.  So Dani was able to tell me quite a bit more about the Pink House, including showing me their Facebook page and telling me about the support of Canadian musician Dean Brody who came out to Brazil last year and founded the new Pink House with Matt.

Having lived in London for 8 years Dani is fluent in English as well as her native Portuguese so throughout my stay we chatted away comfortably, only using Portuguese when we went to her friend Lu’s for pizza so Milo could play with Lu’s little lad João.  Whilst in London Dani trained as a pasty chef and I got a chance to eat some (actually quite a lot!) of her tasty cake throughout my short time with her.  

 

Dani, thank you very much for making me so welcome and comfortable in your home and for feeding me so well! Good luck with the house move, I hope you settle in well and will be happy in the new community.
:-)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kim I would like to get in touch with you... How can I

    ReplyDelete