Sunday 6 October 2013

Arriving at Sustainable Bolivia :-)


So a month into this leg of my South American journey and I arrived at the Casa Principal of Sustainable Bolivia where I'll be based for the artist residency for the next three months.  And being back at lower altitude (about 2000m above sea level) the sun is no longer deceptive but WARM, yay!
These are the two lovely dogs in the home - Piña (above) and Chuña (below) who's striking in her almost complete-hairlessness (this is ok, she's healthy, she's just a Peruvian hairless dog!)



So these first few days have been ones of settling into the space and starting to get to know my housemates and the volunteers  - there are so many fascinating folk passing through the house, it's brilliant (it really reminds me of Omega, I feel like I've landed in a sunnier more open-air version of Unit D!).  

Unpacking properly for the first time since I left London back in February has felt BRILLIANT! (Even back home in July & August I was living out of bags!)  And I've been organising the studio, sorting through reference images and materials and getting itchy fingers for starting on some drawing and experimenting this coming week.  After chatting with director Ryan about how the residency works I'm happy to be patient on the workshop front, so I'll proabbly be working on my own stuff for a couple of weeks as I get to know SB's volunteers and hear about the NGO's where they're working to see where collaborations might come up.  Exciting!

Another family member-  the cat Eva Sanchez that the dogs seem to enjoy affectionaltey sitting on top of.  She'll tolerate it for a while then squeee herself out and away.

My good friend Camilla (who I've crossed paths with now in Chile, Argentina, Brazil & now here in Bolivia as she travels with her art project 34 South/ 61 north) and her Mum's been around for the weekend too, celebrating Camilla's birthday as well as birthdays of a couple of other volunteers and friends, so there's been a lot of chat, laughter, good food and drinks.

So here's keeping fingers crossed for some productive and happy weeks ahead as I get to know folk here and get started on some project work.



Big love to you all back home.
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment