Friday 28 June 2013

Abra Os Olhos: Open Your Eyes

I exist
 
At the end of Rachel and my very last night in Medina we walked a few of the girls home after the open-air cinema screening in Praça Santa Rita.  Along our way we came across a couple of our other girls out in the street and encouraged them to go home too, one allowed us to walk her home and on our way we saw a little of the drug and drink issues of Medina.  This was a timely reminder of the harsh reality of the girls at Medina’s Pink House, who are either victims or at risk of poverty, violence, drug or alcohol abuse, abandonment and sexual exploitation or child prostitution.   
 
So to end these series of posts about my six weeks volunteering with the NGO Meninadança, here are the final black and white images from the series created in collaboration with brilliant photographer Rachel Alvarez to explore giving voice to the socially excluded “Abra Os Olhos” (Open your eyes).  Thank you to our beautiful models and friends Nanielly and Luana.
 
Can you see me?
 
Can you hear me?
 
Open your eyes.
 
Listen to me.
 
Speak for me.
 
Speak for me.
 
Open your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment