Friday 28 June 2013

ONE: Rachel Anne Jones


Rachel Jones
A challenge I overcame: Cycling from Panama to Nicaragua in 8 days, and surviving!!
A dream for my future: Happy, Healthy family
A hope for the global community: Education, Empowerment, Equality
Rachel is a gorgeous and multi-talented Welsh lass, who is absolutely hilarious and also, as I discovered during this trip, has the most beautiful singing voice.  Formidably intelligent, Rachel specializes in computer programming and as well as being bilingual in Welsh-Gaelic and English also speaks Italian after living in Italy and Spanish and Portuguese (and I have a feeling I’m missing out some other languages here?!).
Rachel and I originally met on one of Macmillan Cancer Support’s fundraising bike rides in Central America, where weboth cycled an intense 600km over 8 days (“8-days!” Rachel explained vigorously for Thiago and friend that night in Lapa, with 8 fingers extended in emphasis, “8 days!”), from Panama to Granada in Nicaragua in 2010, from where I carried on north to Mexico.  That trip was an incredible and really bonding experience for us.  Since then we’ve also cycle-camped through Wales as a celebration of Rachel’s 30th, and had plenty a night out dancing back in London when we’ve both been based there.
Rachel’s computing skills had her working for the London Olympic Games in 2012 and she was kind enough to gift me and another good friend Tamara a pair of tickets to the athletics last summer – ace!!
Rachel, thanks for a fantastic few days and for so may tear-inducing laughs, you’re brilliant!  I hope you’ve been enjoying the rest of your trip and I’ll look forward to catching up again and hearing all about your adventures back on UK soil!
Big love
:-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment