Thursday 20 June 2013

ONE: Geruelson Chaves Rodrigues



A challenge I overcame: Death
A dream for my future: To live an eternal life
A hope for the global community: To find Jesus in every heart




Geruelson is a local artist from Medina who I had the massive pleasure of meeting at the beginning stages of painting the wall.  He is an amazing sculptor and one day brought along his portfolio of sculptures which he has travelled all over Brazil installing for hotels, private homes and public spaces.  Working in breathtaking carved detail in wood or cement which he then paints, Geruelson creates sculptures in a variety of sizes from small trinket boxes to giant Christ statues, and including life-sized human figures, intricate panels, murals and beautiful furniture.   

Geruelson now has a young family now here in Medina, but still travels for his work and was telling me of new and interesting ideas he has for current projects, including carving detailed furniture from some giant tree roots he came across recently. 

Geruelson's son seems to be following in his Dad's artistc footsteps: here painting an eye into our community mural.


Not only is Geruelson an incredible artist, but he's also a very kind bloke.  He stopped off at the mural space a few times and each time offered to show me some of his techniques if I would stop by his studio.  A real shame that because of time I was not able to take up his generous offer, by the time the mural was finished our final week flew by in preparations for the goodbye with the girls at the Pink House and then I had left the town. 


Thank you Geruelson for the kind offer, I would have loved to learn from you. Who knows, perhaps the opportunity will arise again.   In the meantime I hope you keep enjoying your projects, and thank you very much for sharing your work with me.
:-)

1 comment:

  1. é Meu tio rsrsr ...Maos abençoadas por DEUS, que atraves da arte inspire a realidade de nosso pais

    ReplyDelete