Saturday 23 November 2013

Week 5 CAICC: animation shoot 4

"CAICC - Help us finding our own house."
The final phrase for the animation, suggested by director Veronica.  At the moment CAICC rent the three buildings they use but they would really like the funding to buy either terrain to build, or a house where they can unite the nursery and the centre for older kids.  The hope is to use our video as a tool in a fundraising campaign.

This fourth day of our animation shoot at CAICC was brilliant, with the kids achieving a huge amount, Florrie filming a lot of the activity and our interviewing some of the kids, and in return a couple of them interviewing me:

1. More prop and puppet making.  Preparing for a scene involving all the puppets the kids put feet back on puppets, adjusted heads, made plasticine butterflies and insects, a wire bicycle, cut out letters and some little ones that haven't been involved in the workshop before even took the initiative to make new puppets from scratch.


2. Shooting the animation of two scenes: the final scene with all puppets on screen and the CAICC house and a scene with the famous CAICC bus picking up all the puppets.


3. Florrie filmed a lot of the activity of the day, the puppet and prop making, the animation process, the kids directing through the program Dragonframe and background activity of the swings, washing up and playing. 


4. Interviewing some of the kids about why CAICC is important for them, what we have been doing in the project and what they have enjoyed about the project.


5. Being interviewed by the kids: (this was one of my favourite parts of the day!) I was really impressed that the kids had the initiative and confidence to insist on writing their own questions for me, after they had seen the questions Florrie and I had written and thought they were 'too easy'! Their questions for me:
What do you like about CAICC?  I love the kids at CAICC - I love their energy, enthusiasm and affection.
What was your first impression of CAICC?  In our first session I was impressed by how engaged and imaginative the kids were, how they had stories pouring out of them!  I was also touched by how welcoming the staff were.
What were your objectives when you came to CAICC?  When I came to CAICC my hope was to create a workshop with the kids where they could tell their stories, and explore ways of communicating these stories through storyboards, puppet making and stop-motion animation.  My hope was that the workshop would be fun for the kids at the same time as introducing them to some new techniques.  It was also important for me that the process of the workshop would build their confidence in expressing their voices, and that the resulting short film would be a piece of work they could be really proud of and  share with their family and friends.
What have you learned from the kids at CAICC?  I have been hugely impressed by the kids imagination and creativity, and I think what I have been learning most from them is how to offer them a balance of creative freedom within enough structure to facilitate the clear communication of their stories.
What are your expectations for CAICC?  I really hope that the organisation of CAICC achieves its aim of getting a house of their own. Above all I hope that each of these individual kids follow their dreams as they grow up and that they have the opportunities to develop their skills and study and work in the areas that they want to - these are hugely talented kids!

Thanks to Viviana and Alejandro for interviewing me - your questions were thought provoking!


6. Being photographed by the kids!
Florrie and her puppet:

At the end of a brilliant week, and a really brilliant session...
big love!
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment