Friday 23 January 2015

My journey to work…

Turning right onto the multi-lane road 9 de Octubre at the bottom of our road, first step of the journey whether by bike or metro.

Last week I got an email from Katie at ICYE, the organisation that sorts out the logisitcs of our cmap volunteer placements,  telling me about a campaign called "My journey to work" that ICYE is planning that will gather photos and videos of all the different journeys that volunteers do to get to work, all over the world.   Katie asked if I had any photos I might be able to share and the timing was interesting, becuase, in gathering reference imagery for the new project that Emily and I are just starting up, we had already begun taking photos around the city and in the sectors where we run the JUCONI Art Club sessions, with a focus on the houses and streets for our initial session "My house".  So over the last week I took a few more photos to fill in any gaps, and here it is, my journey to (and from) work:



I've got two ways of getting into work: 

The first is on my trusty steed La Rana ("the toad", see photo above left - currently out of action while my coccyx is healing from a fracture back in november.)  Heading out of the house I pass this replica of a painting by the "Picasso of South America" Oswaldo Guayasamin on our living room and further down the road on 9 de Octubre I pass this colourful mosaic under a flyover where I have to be on high alert for dodgy drivers trying to cut me up as they turn right towards Bellavista.

The other is braving the crowds of the metro-via bus system (yes, there are more people per cubic space than the tube in London at times - this photo below right was an oddly quiet time!). On the walk there we pass a handfull of vendors with cloths spread out on the floor or on stands or tricycles, selling haribands, sweets, newspapers, empanadas and many more bits and pieces likely to catch the eye and dollars of the students coming in and out of the girl's secondary school 28 de Mayo (whose early morning band practices wake us up even on a Saturday!)


We get off of the metro at Ferroviara and pass the underpass and its kite murals below...


…cross this traffic-loaden bridge of the Malecón Salado ("Salty Pier"), and arrive to the JUCONI office. 



…to be continued with photos of our journeys within work...

No comments:

Post a Comment