Friday 15 February 2013

Arriving at the residency in Villla Alegre



Arriving in Villa Alegre I was immediately struck by the kindness (Amistad) of the locals when I was gifted two lifts that placed me safely on the doorstep of tranquil Casa Solagreia.  

This was an evening of introductions, to one another, the lovely big family of the house and the local Chilean guests that we shared our inauguration with.  I believe I doubled my knowledge of South American politic in a fascinating conversation with Jorge Senior at our inaugration party.

We've been asked to give one image per day and a written description or response of our experiences that day, so for these days of the residency I will update this blog with the same material I give to Jorge and Ilze, the organisers of this residency.  

The family home is laid out around a gorgeous sunny courtyard and what grabbed my attention as we were shown around the house were all the collections of objects: books, photos, ornaments, paintings.  I am always fascinated by these types of objects because of the clues they hold to the history and personality of the individuals in the family who collected them.

Gathering some of the photos of these objects into a single composition, I am returning again to my recurring symbol of the patchwork whole.  I am reflecting on how what is so interesting at this point of many introductions is the knowing that each person carries a very rich history of stories, skills and points of view, and it is exciting to wonder what we will share with one another and how we will come together over the course of the next week or so in our collaborations. 

A mood of curiosity and anticipation! J

No comments:

Post a Comment