Tuesday 5 February 2013

Goodbye to Santiago ... a run to Cerro San Cristóbal


On my last morning in Santiago I braved a run and headed over to San Cristóbal.

It's been a good old while since I put on my trainers, but being away from Peggy and Edith, (my lovely bikes who are being bike-sat by Lyns back in London, thanks Lyns!) I reckon it's a good idea to try to replace that natural-part-of-the-day exercise with something else, so hopefully here I'll continue doing plenty walking, with a few runs and maybe even some yoga added in.  So yesterday I ran to the base of San Cristóbal, climbed to the top to visit La Virgen, walked back down and ran back to the hostel, all in time for a shower and check out by 12, so feeling chuffed (though have sore muscles for it today).

The dogs in Moley's pictures above were my friends for the journey up the hill.  I started off with 4 companions, 2 came with me to visit la Virgen and then the one closest to the camera even came part the way back down the hill with me.  I started thinking of him as Rodney after a friendly cyclist at the top told me with a huge grin that he'd passed me running in the streets and I had a 'buen trot' on me (as in 'a good run')... the word trot got me thinking of the Trotters of Only Fools and Horses (a favourite program of my Dad's) hence Rodney! The other dogs could have been Del Boy and Trigger :-)


I'd learned from Karen the day before that for locals one of the reasons for visiting La Virgen was to pray, so also in my mind as I climbed to the top were a couple of folk who are very close to me who are having tough times, and I said some prayers for them and for all my wonderful friends and family once I was sat at the feet of La Virgen.  It was also a beautiful and calm spot for me to give thanks for having this amazing opportunity of travel and learning and to ask for the strength to do some useful work while I am out here, to make the most of this opportunity for both other folk I hope, and also for myself.

So a beautiful last morning in Santiago, now onwards to Valparaiso and visiting my very good old friends and old flatmates Emma and James

Here's a gorgeous heart mosaic from Santiago's pavements to send my love to you all of you family and friends, thanks for being such wonderful special folk, I'll be missing you all while I am away.
Big love :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment