Wednesday 20 February 2013

Day 8: partying with the Vecinos :-)



A touristy day and also an inspirational one.

From the candles in the church of Lináres came many thoughts... 
Thinking about family and friends and how although we're far apart there's a strong sense of connection (helped massively by the technology of Skype!).. knowing we each carry a little of one another inside.
Also reflecting on the symbol of the candle as imagination and life.  (Reminding me of my experimental bath-animation reflecting on relationships between myself and my students at the animation workshops in Kids Company, where one candle ignites others, just in the way that here the brilliant thing is we are inspiring one another, bouncing ideas off one another all the time.



Enjoying a really brilliant meeting with the Vecinos de Jefas who brought their artesian objects and mountain of homemade food to share with us.  The food was delicious, soft fresh homemade cheeses and various flavours of breads.  What generosity!  It was great to see the creative experimental clothing CArmen produces form traditional weavings and to admire the intricate weavings of Jorge's mum Alicia.  

There was a funny moment when one lady and I realised that we both share the love of singing along to yourself as we cycle! (And she told me she is 75 - so hopefully I'll still by cycling and singing at that age too!) :-)

Also I love how all the ladies address us women of the younger generation as 'mi hija' ('my daughter'). 


                                                                        
And the songs... brilliant!  Our in-house DJ "Rocky" (Mexican Alfonso) again put his brilliant home-made amplifier to good use when he initiated a karaoke session.  Many of the ladies sang, Angelica put on a great performance and Kristina not only sang loads of local songs, but also sang along to American Pie with me - I was so nervous I was shaking but it came out fun in the end (if not lovely!) 
Best moment, laughing at the lyrics "I know that you're in love with him cause I saw you dancing in the gym"  cause Kristina and Panda are well loved up right now!

And ending the night dancing dancing dancing to the wee hours of the morning again, brilliant!
Like the beautiful lyrics of one of the local songs, "Gracias a la vida" ("Thank you life")
 J

No comments:

Post a Comment