Tuesday 16 April 2013

Boston marathon bombs

Another piece of news that I became aware of today is that of the Boston marathon bombings yesterday afternoon.  What an absolutely horrific event.  And how tragic for all those runners and their families expecting to celebrate an incredible achievement who are now suffering the shock of the aftermath.

This Sunday will be the London marathon, a year on since Åsa and I ran in it.  I remember the huge effort of training as a runner and the charity fundraising and it really saddens me that these Boston runners have had this day that should be one of triumph and celebration so brutally interrupted.   It also saddens me that London runners this coming Sunday may feel anxious or nervous in their race.

One thing that I was hugely moved to hear was that runners in Boston who'd completed the 26 mile race ran on to hospitals to donate blood for the injured.  That goes to show the strength of human spirit in times of crisis.


My heart goes out to all those individuals who were injured in the blasts 
and to the families of those who lost their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment