Friday 5 April 2013

More Marilyn in BsAs: Dear Anna....


Dear Anna,

Marilyn!!  All throughout this exhibition I was thinking of you m'lovely lass. :-) I know how much you like this icon, so I thought you might like these two snaps showing her not in film stills but in her life.

In the photo on the left Marilyn looks so young and innocent, especially in contrast to the harsh and masculine features of Natasha Lytess, a European immigrant and Marilyn's teacher in Hollywood.  Interesting poses, Natasha turning away, rejecting the plea from Marilyn whatever that may be... acted or genuine?

The photo on the right is from February 1954, at a concert Marilyn gave for United States troops in Korea.  I like how in this she's captured mid movement rather than in the usual staged pose.  And I love the natural laughter on her face and the wonderment and admiration on the soldiers faces...I'm trying to imagine what energy there must have been within that crowd of young men at having her feminine presence amongst them at this highly stressful time of conflict.  She must have been a fresh breeze for them, (though I wonder for some would there be an element of heightened sexual frustration, being so far from their wives and girlfriends?)

Interesting too, the context of the exhibition, in a gallery of the Borges Cultural Centre, which is on the top two floors of this extravagant shopping mall at the corner of Viamonte and San Martin.  The link between the seductive poses of Marilyn and these of the fashion model hanging multiple times along the row of shops fascinated me in thinking about the enactment of femininity and feminine sexuality.

Perhaps it fascinated me so much because it's an aspect of the feminine that I'm not great at - acting seductive that is, being much more comfortable instead with the natural 'climbed-down-out-a-tree look (as my brother Daniel puts it) or the clowning approach as Åsa and I demonstrated with the Where's Wally London marathon costume choice that you so objected to Anna! ;-)

So, here's hoping you're well and happy Anna, sending a big hug from Argentina, the home of the most seductive dance of all, Tango!

Big love,
Kim
:-)
x






No comments:

Post a Comment