Tuesday 9 April 2013

To be a Volunteer: Dear Denise.....


Carla Yanina Guzmán: Manos abiertos a la entrega de ayudar al .... / Hands open in the attempt to help...

Dear Denise,

How are you doing m’lovely?  How is life in Santiago?

I thought you might appreciate these photos from the exhibition Ser Voluntario at the Borges centre here in Buneos Aires.  I love his image of hands holding the flower, there is so much combined strength in the circle, and yet the flower is so delicate that the image seems incredibly.  It’s really inviting, it gives me a sensation of wanting to be that flower, to lay my head down and sleep safely in that supportive circle! :-)
  
I’m reminded with the circle of our days of learning and exploring at the Kids Company course weekends, how intense that was and hard at times for how deep within ourselves we were inviteed to explore, hey?  But so so brilliant, and what a pleasure to be within the support of that circle of the Love Army community! :-)
 
(left) Andrea Serrera: Observando el mundo.  La pequeña Rina esta indicesa.  Acercar el mundo o continuar mirandolo de lejos con sus ojos de niña. / Observing the world.  Little Rina is uncertain.  To approach the world or to continue looking at it from afar with her child’s eyes.
 (Right) Facundo Grillo: Nada más serio en el mundo que un niño riendo y jugando.  Día del niño 2012 ONG Coy Aike. / Nothing more serious than a child laughing and playing. Child’s Day 2012 NGO Coy Aike.

I’m actually really glad of the timing of this exhibition, coming as it does a month or so before I’ll be starting at the volunteer post with Menindadança.  Seeing the hugs and happy smiles in these photos really moved me and were a welcome reminder of the joy of volunteering (I had that reassuring goose-pimple reaction that always make me pay close attention to the soul-deep communications of the moment!)  The photos also gave me a happy pause to think about my students at the Urban Academy too and wonder what they are up to now.

Also Denise, thank you for the Buenos Aires map you included in my treasure-map package!  In the end I was so busy running around with Daniela between galleries and time-lapse shoots that I never made it to the Japanese gardens or the huge bookshop, shame :-( Although it’s probably a good thing on the book front, because my ‘mochilla y oficina’ are now bursting at the seams with all the newspapers, magazines and books I’ve picked up along the way.  I was even gifted a bag-full of books from the office of la Memoria the other day when I went in thinking it was a museum with the hope of learning a little about the history of the dictatorship in Argentina.  Now I’ve got a backpack full of lectures waiting to be read, brilliant!

Wishing you a realaxing end to your time back in Chile, and a safe journey when you return to London.  See you there in the summer!

Big love,
Kim
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment