Tuesday 9 April 2013

Reusing materials in BsAs: Dear Emma....


Dear Emma,

How are you doing m'lovely?  How is it readjusting to life back in the UK, and have you got any more plans yet to head back out this way to Chile?

Here are a couple of photos I reckon might interest you from Buenos Aires.  The image on the right is a sculpture from BsAs based artist Omar Toro Musis.  I've just sent Mike an blog-post-card of Toro's sculptures too, because of their association with the work of Mutoid Waste in the UK (do you know them?), and when I saw the re-using of all the bike parts, and in particular the saddles and saddle-springs in this kangaroo's face I obviously thought of you and your re-using of saddles and cloth for Cycle Fabric.  How is business going since you got back home? :-)

It seems reusing materials is a popular approach in the Buenos Aires art scene, or at least from what I saw of it.  The photo on the left above is from an exhibition I reckon you would have enjoyed at the Borges centre: Muestra Cartonera.  I know artist Roberto Frangella's approach to art will resonate with you: creating from everyday objects discarded by society (in these sculptures, cardboard).  According to the exhibition notes written by Elena Oliveras:
If we think that a profound creativity is synonymous with marginalisation, in such opposition to the status-quo, the authentic artist cannot be without being marginal.

This seemed to be particularly illustrated by the striking juxtaposition between the luxury of the surrounding building and the rough-and-ready feel of Frangella's colourfully painted cardboard figures. Something in this feeling seemed to reflect the discomfort that I so often experience in extravagantly plush environments.... I think in my own happily colourful and scruffy-round-the-edges way of being I can identify hugely with these sculptures... I reckon you might get what I'm talking about?!

Ha!.. and now I have an image in my mind of you and James and I dressed in paint splattered dungarees drinking spiced rum and dancing wild reels in a straw-filled field surrounded by a myriad of colourfully painted cardboard cows!!  Brilliant - perhaps a plan for a summer reunion?!

Sending big wet-paint-hugs to you both!
love Kim
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment