Friday 12 April 2013

Tejedoras y contadoras: Dear Johanna...

The Weavers

Dear Joanna,

How are you doing m'lovely cousin Jo? I hope you are well and happy (and not too cold with the odd weather I've been reports of from back home?) :-)

Here's a blog-post "postcard" for you: the image is a mural of a group of traditional weavers photographed in the colourful streets of La Boca in Buenos Aires in Argentina.  When I looked at this image of womenfolk gathered to weave threads I started imagining groups of womenfolk gathered to weaving their words into tales, making images and sense out of the world around them through their tales.  This made me think of the power of storytelling as a healing tool, of story as a tool of self-expression, self-exploration and social inclusion.  And so I was reminded of you and your work with writing and literature and your students who're lucky to have you offer them the key to that magical world (or should I say offer them the loom and threads? :-) )

So in turn I thought back to these wonderfully woven words of Clarissa Pinkola Estés (have you had a chance to start reading her Wolves book yet?) and I wonder if you might enjoy them too....


.....tales are, in their oldest senses, a healing art.  Some are called to this healing art, and the best, by my lights, are those who have genuinely lain with the story, and found all it’s matching parts inside them and at depth... / In dealing with stories, we are handling archetypal energy, which we could metaphorically describe as being like electricity.  This electrical power can animate and enlighten.... / Among the best of the teller-healers I know...their stories grow out of their lives as roots grow a tree.  The stories have grown them, grown them into who they are.
pp.470-471, Clarissa Pinkola Estés, Women Who Run with Wolves, Contacting the Power of the Wild Woman, Rider 1992

In thinking of weaving symbolism I'm also thinking of this patchwork-quilt postcard project that I've been working on as I travel (I'll explain a little more with an email invite Jo) and how my idea for hand-stitching the photo portraits into a patchwork quilt is perhaps a symbol for the current day weaving together of all of our personal tales into one powerful community of connected, conscious individuals... hmmm.. threads threads threads! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts Jo :-)

Sending you a big hug and lots of love, 
And looking forward to seeing you in the summer...
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment